22-Nov-2011

Neither Here nor There by Bill Bryson


Rating - Read

Bryson is one of the authors I love to reread. His travel books always work as a pick-me-up and many a time I have dreamt about travelling and writing like him (As have many others I believe. When I surfed a site on travel writing, the first warning they gave was that a miniscule few get as lucky as Bryson).

This book follows the author’s travels through Europe. Bryson starts with seeing the Northern lights in Norway and goes in a zig zag manner to finally reach Istanbul. Clearly it is not a guide book meant to tell people where to go in each country and city. It is a tongue-in-cheek observation of the locals. Bryson heaps praise when deserved but his ‘WTF’ observations are much funnier and there are loads of them.

As always, a funny read by a dependable author.

P.S. Maybe I should correct ‘dependable’. Ever since he started writing on non-travel topics, I think results have been mixed. I have still not been able to move beyond the first few pages of his ‘Shakespeare’


5 comments:

haathitime.com said...

OH I have been meaning to pick up Bryson for the longest time, and have some how never gotten down to it. Now seems like a good time. Perhaps it will inspire some much needed (and so far only intended) travel..

Aparna said...

You are on a (blog)roll here!!! I haven't read this book, will add to my list.

Prasetyo said...

Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment here.

Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog too.

Thanks for share,
* Rio Prasetyo *

Mum's delight said...

I just finished reading Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid and loved it!

Anita said...

haathitime - yup, yup do try them

Aparna - :) feeling totally satisfied about finally finishing off the book list postings

Prasetyo - thanks

Mum's Delight - I really liked it too!